Friday, January 19, 2007

Monument


Another photo from St Mary Magdalen, this time it is a detail from a monument to the fallen from the wars.
On each of the four faces of the monument is one of these square carved panels, three are relatively straight forward.
One shows the hands and feet of Jesus with the wounds caused by nailing him to the crucifix.
The second shows a representation of the trades that the dead men might have carried out in peacetime.
The third is a crossed spear and mace.

Then there is this, the fourth face, I really cannot imagine what it represents. Is it an article of clothing? What do the three die mean? One, three and six what?
I guess I am going to have to ask someone!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger angela said...

At first glance I thought it looked like a tunic or shirt but the dice...
163 would this be the number of men killed? Some connection with Taunton itself?
I adore mysteries so let me know when you've found the answer.
I hear you've been having wild weather.
Angela

9:33 AM  
Blogger Mountainboy said...

I have emailed the church with the question Angela (I wonder who logs on to pick them up?!)

Relating the die to the number of dead is a smart idea, and I guess it would be more like 613, lets hope I get an answer.

Yes the weather has been wild, at times like these calls to the police can double or triple.
I sometimes wonder what the public want us to do about a meteorological fact. Some calls are genuine requests for assistance, some are people just wanting reassurance.
The people telling us that the wind is getting strong are the ones I wonder about, as much as we'd like the power to calm it down....

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting.

This might shed some light.

When they crucified Jesus, the Roman soldiers took his clothes and divided them up four ways, to each soldier a fourth. But his robe was seamless, a single piece of weaving, so they said to each other, "Let's not tear it up. Let's throw dice to see who gets it." This confirmed the Scripture that said, "They divided up my clothes among them and threw dice for my coat."

The numbers might also represent the Bible verse, as in Acts 6:1-3 where this casting of lots or toss of the dice was mentioned.

I read about this in Bible study.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Mountainboy said...

Wow, well thank you Nonny Mouse.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Louise Starkey said...

What an interesting post and comments.- I guess you need to read the bible to understand the symbolism around churches- this is a bit sort of da vinci codeish.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com