Sunday, May 20, 2007

Grey Heron at Firepool Weir


Not the photo I was going to post today but having seen this magnificent bird sat sunning itself on its nest tonight I had to change the plan!

I don't know if it had just been for a swim but it certainly seemed to be drying itself in the last rays of the early evening. I had not noticed the nest before today, it is only 2 minutes walk from the house so I think it must be new. Normally the herons are to be seen a few minutes further along the river or at Hankridge Water Park about 2 1/2 miles away on the outskirts of town.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My idea of a beautiful image is like this. Still able to carry on its ancient rituals.

11:13 AM  
Blogger lv2scpbk said...

I agree. Wonderful photo.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture but I thought herons nested in tall trees not on the ground. The herons nesting near curry rival (RSPB site) is a must in the spring.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com