Friday, May 25, 2007

Post Office


The main Post Office building on North Street. Lots of hoohar (sp?) about the government planning to close another 2000 or so post offices as they are losing money on them hand over fist. No surprise when you can't do much else other than buy a stamp there. Things like buying a TV Licence you just can't do at the post office anymore, silly really.

Anyway, I am not sure when this was built but their is a really old doorway behind the castle that was apparently taken from the 'old' post office so I guess this is the new one. Judging by the architecture it has to be 1920 - 1939 or so to fit in with the Art Deco feel of the place. Might have a closer snoop around tomorrow.

Oh and do you see the pigeon? They get everywhere, not just on this blog!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Beetle said...

It is not look like a post office building but lucky they putted on the sign and very good captured that I can see the post office sign there

11:10 AM  
Blogger Martel said...

Finally Internet (Because I can have Internet only the weekend and the public holidays), I can visit your blog. This weekend I present Martel in version black and white. I prefer the photographs in b&w and you?

My blog photographs on the town of Martel

3:15 PM  
Blogger Gerald (SK14) said...

I won't go on about the way the government have systematically sabotaged the Post Office, especially the removal of the TV licensing payment [can you still tax your car at POs? - don't know since I don't have a car now] Before my holiday I went in the PO for a "keepsafe" form and they didn't have any! Have just learnt that the local sorting office now closes at lunchtime so if you need to collect something you have to go down in the morning!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Fabrizio Zanelli said...

I like the building so much and your photo too !

4:59 PM  
Blogger Ame said...

Mark, that's SO totally a FAKE pigeon!!!

But most DEFINITELY a REAL building...cute one at that!

And TV license? What the heck is THAT? You guys just do STRANGE things over there in UK Land!

;)x

7:53 PM  
Blogger Mountainboy said...

Ame! Like I would climb the building to place a fake pigeon.... ;)

Yeah we need a license to use a TV or own a dog... (is that true? Do we still need a dog license?, is it cheaper for a black & white dog?)

1:09 AM  
Blogger Stefan Jansson said...

A fine looking building. Same story in Sweden. All the old Post Office's has closed. In my little town we have to visit the kiosk these days to buy stamps or send packages..

9:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, you WOULD! LOL! ;)

And SILLY GOOSE...someone ELSE put it up there...to scare away the OWLS!

Don't you know that?

And here I thought you were THE Mountain Boy!

=)))x

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com